The Gen 2 Protective Armor Plate with Cerakote® for STIHL® MS 460/461 is now available.
This new plate will fit onto the STIHL® MS 460/461 saw with a full wrap or standard top handle.
We have applied Cerakote clear coat to the armor plate which allows dirt, oil and sap to be wiped off it easily during equipment cleanup.
This is especially useful in field cleaning situations where cleaning solvents may not be readily available or unsafe to use.
It is designed to protect the following areas on the saw:
1. Crankcase frontal area and muffler. Will reduce particles contacting the muffler and catching on fire, and protect against impact damage.
No more accidental burns to your hands & knuckles while filing chains etc.
Reduce burns to your Nomex® gear when shouldering the saw.
2. Protect the fueltank and underside of the crankcase.
5. Reduce unwanted flex in the saw handle, making it less prone to breaking under situations where the saw bar is jammed in a cut.
The Saw Armor plate is only attached to the plastic tank handle/top handle and is not directly connected to the crankcase/motor of the saw.
This preserves the anti-vibration characteristics of the saw
In addition to protecting the saw, plate also functions to limit the range of flex in the plastic tank handle, strengthening the saw and reducing the likelihood of damage to the tank handle if it is subjected to twisting forces.
Quick start installation instructions (approx 7-10 mins process):
You will need: T27 and T30 wrench and a small screwdriver/awl to align the plate with the mounting holes.
Supplied with the plate:
2 x T30, 30mm long STS Thermplast flat head for front of tank handle underneath the saw.
On STIHL Rescue Saws with original heat shield in place:
1 x T27, 35mm long M6 bolt - STIHL part 9022 341 0980 M5 x 16 mm cap screw for lower right muffler mount.
1. Remove the bar from the saw.
2. Remove the existing muffler shield if it is in place.
Remove the lower right hand muffler mounting bolt spacer if it is present (as you are facing the muffler).
Replace it with STIHL part 9022 341 0980 cap screw as mentioned above.
3. Remove the original mounting screws, 2 from the bottom of the tank handle.
4. Ensure that the tank handle mounting holes are reasonably lined up on the underneath of the saw, if you are careful, it likely will not move after you remove the two screws.
5. Set the Saw Armor plate down on a flat surface and bring the saw body into the plate from the left side, inserting the front area into the plate first, then inserting the rear of the plate into the plate, ensuring the flat white plastic area of the tank handle slides underneath the tab at the rear of the plate.
It should drop into the plate with a little resistance.
6. Now flip the saw upside down and set on the chain brake handle/rear handle.
Use a small screw driver or awl to ensure the plate, top handle and tank handle mounting holes are correctly lined up by pushing the screwdriver/awl into one of the holes. You may need to move the armor plate sideways a little to line everything up.
Insert a T30 x 30mm screw into each of the holes under the plate and tighten to finger tight.
Insert the other screw and tighten down finger tight.
Now tighten down the two T30 bolts underneath the saw down firmly.
7. Use a set of large ChannelLock or similar pliers to crimp down the formed clamp on the rear handle of the saw. This secures the armor plate fully to the rear section of the tank handle.
8. Check to ensure there is at least 1/4" clearance between the muffler and the frontal area of the plate. Bend it out a little if needed.
The front of the plate must not contact the muffler directly.
Check the Saw Armor supplied screws after the first 10 hours of use, if they have come loose, check the condition of you tank handle with a STIHL dealer and replace if it is worn out.
9. WARNING: DO NOT USE ORIGINAL CAP SCREWS TO FASTEN SAW ARMOR PLATES.
THEY ARE TOO SHORT AND WILL NOT ENSURE A SECURE FIT. SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH MAY RESULT IF FASTENERS OTHER THAN THOSE SUPPLIED BY SAW ARMOR ARE USED.
DO NOT INSTALL THE SAW ARMOR PROVIDED SCREWS ON YOUR SAW IF THERE IS NO ARMOR PLATE ON THE SAW.
OUR SCREWS ARE LONGER THAN THE ORIGINAL CAP SCREWS AND WILL DAMAGE YOUR SAW IF THE SAW ARMOR PLATE IS NOT ON THE SAW.
Contact Saw Armor for replacement fasteners if needed.
If the front of the plate comes into contact with the muffler at any time, just grab the top of it and bend it back to ensure minimum 1/4 of clearance at all times. Contact us with any questions.
Thank you for protecting your saw with Saw Armor!
SAW ARMOR plates cannot protect your saw from every possible impact or abrasive force. The plate is intended to reduce the wear and tear on the underside and rear of your unit. There are still highly destructive forces or impacts that may cause damage to your saw. SAW ARMOR, LLC is not responsible for any direct, indirect or consequential damages to equipment or persons using this equipment. By using the SAW ARMOR plate, you are agreeing to these terms and conditions. Always follow instructions your saw's manufacturer equipment safety manual. Regularly check the screws on your SAW ARMOR plate for tightness. If your plate comes loose, retighten the screws. Do not use your saw with a loose protective plate, if the plate screws do not remain tight, discontinue use of the plate and contact your local chainsaw dealer to check the condition of your saw.