SAW ARMOR Plate for STIHL® MS 046/460/461/461R with a single or full wrap top handle.
By fitting this protective plate to your saw, you will increase operator safety, extend its useful life and reduce downtime from accidental damage.
It is designed to protect the following areas on the saw:
Armor plate dimensions are approximately: 6.5" x 7.5" x 18"
1. Crankcase frontal area and muffler. Will reduce particles contacting the muffler and catching on fire, and protect against impact damage.
2. Underside of the crankcase which is subject to abrasion, sharp object penetration, damage from sitting on concrete while idling or other abrasive surfaces.
3. Fuel tank under filling cap on the left hand side and exposed area on the right hand side from impact or punctures.
4. Rear tank handle/grip area, from impact damage in case of dropping the saw.
5. Reduce unwanted flex in the saw handle, making it less prone to breaking under situations where the saw is jammed in a cut and the operator is working to pull the saw clear.
The Saw Armor plate is only attached to the plastic tank handle/top handle and is not directly connected to the crankcase/motor of the saw.
This preserves the anti vibration characteristics of the saw. In addition to protecting the saw, plate also functions to limit the range of flex in the plastic tank handle, strengthening the saw and reducing the likelihood of damage to the tank handle if it is subjected to twisting forces.
Quick start installation instructions (approx 5 min process):
You will need: T27 and T30 wrench and a small screwdriver/awl to align the plate with the mounting holes.
Supplied with the plate:
2 x T30, 30mm long STS Thermplast flat head for the two bolt holes on the tank handle underneath the saw.
1. Remove the existing muffler heat shield if it is in place (typically on a 461R saw that comes with STIHL Rescue accessories).
2. Remove the bar from the saw (optional, but will assist in making installation easier).
3. Flip the saw upside down, and set it down carefully on flat surface.
Carefully remove the original mounting screws with the Torx T27 wrench from the bottom of the tank handle.
4. Ensure that the tank handle mounting holes remain lined up with the plastic tank handle the underneath of the saw.
If you are careful while removing the screws, the saw handle likely will stay properly in place.
5. Flip the saw right side up and set the Saw Armor plate down on the flat surface, with the hear shield pointing up.
6. Now bring the saw body into the plate from the left side, position the bucking spikes the right of the heat shield and pivot the rear handle of the saw under the rear tab on the armor plate.
Ensure that the flat white plastic area of the tank handle slides underneath the tab at the rear of the plate.
7. Now flip the saw upside down and set on the chain brake handle/rear handle.
Use a small screw drive or spike to ensure the plate, top handle and tank handle mounting holes are correctly lined up by pushing the screwdriver/spike into one of the holes. You may need to move the armor plate sideways a little to line everything up.
Get your Torx T30 wrench ready.
Insert a T30 x 30mm screw into one of the holes and tighten to finger tight with the wrench. Insert the other screw and tighten down finger tight.
Tighten down the two T30 bolts underneath the saw firmly. You will feel them lock up tight, do not try to tighten them further. THe screw heads should settle in snugly into the plate and shoiuld not be sticking out.
7. Check to ensure there is at least 1/4" clearance between the muffler and the frontal area of the plate. Bend it out a little if needed. The front of the plate must not contact the muffler directly.
Check the Saw Armor supplied screws after the first 10 hours of use, they should not come loose as they use a special thread desinged for high vibration environments.
WARNING: DO NOT USE ORIGINAL CAP SCREWS TO FASTEN SAW ARMOR PLATES. THEY ARE TOO SHORT AND WILL NOT ENSURE A SECURE FIT. USING ORIGINAL CAP SCREWS COULD RESULT IN THE TOP HANDLE SEPaRATING FROM THE SAW. SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH MAY RESULT IF FASTENERS OTHER THAN THOSE SUPPLIED BY SAW ARMOR ARE USED.
Contact Saw Armor for replacement fasteners if needed.
If the front of the plate comes into contact with the muffler at any time, just grab the top of it and bend it back to ensure minimum 1/4 of clearance at all times. Contact us with any questions. Thank you for protecting your saw with Saw Armor!
SAW ARMOR plates cannot protect your saw from every possible impact or abrasive force. The plate is intended to reduce the wear and tear on the underside and rear of your unit. There are still highly destructive forces or impacts that may cause damage to your saw. SAW ARMOR, LLC is not responsible for any direct, indirect or consequential damages to equipment or persons using this equipment. By using the SAW ARMOR plate, you are agreeing to these terms and conditions. Always follow instructions your saw's manufacturer equipment safety manual. Regularly check the screws on your SAW ARMOR plate for tightness. If your plate comes loose, retighten the screws. Do not use your saw with a loose protective plate, if the plate screws do not remain tight, discontinue use of the plate and contact your local chainsaw dealer to check the condition of your saw.